Store-bought sauces may be convenient, but many contain unnecessary ingredients such as excess sugar, dairy, and preservatives. This recipe allows you to master two staple sauces—BBQ and peanut—so you can make healthier (but equally flavorful) versions at home. Beyond the incredible taste, this dish also provides a significant source of protein and calcium thanks to the soba noodles, tofu, and broccoli. Grab some chopsticks and dig in!
1 package soba noodles
1 package firm tofu
1 tablespoon yellow miso
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/4 tablespoons hot sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
2 cups broccoli
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. Drain the tofu and press the excess water out using a tofu press. Or, wrap the tofu in paper towels and place something heavy (a few cookbooks) on top to squeeze the water out.
3. Prepare the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the tofu marinade by mixing the miso, soy sauce, and hot sauce.
5. Cut the tofu into cubes then toss with the marinade to coat.
6. Place the tofu on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the tofu turns light brown.
7. In a large bowl, prepare the peanut sauce by whisking together the peanut butter, water, soy sauce, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Add water to thin if necessary.
8. Chop the broccoli into small florets and steam for 3-5 minutes. Remove from steamer and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with granulated garlic, onion powder, BBQ sauce, and peanuts. Bake in the oven, cooking until the edges of the broccoli start to crisp, about 5 minutes.
9. Toss the soba noodles in the peanut sauce. Add veggies and tofu and toss once more. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Stefen Janke/Plant Punk Kitchen