Easy Mexican Tofu Scramble By The Nut-Free Vegan
Prefer a savory to a sweet breakfast? Mix up your mornings with this simple Mexican-inspired tofu scramble. You’ll start your day with a quality boost of protein, a variety of micronutrients, plenty of antioxidants, and a spicy kick. Who doesn’t like a little bit of spice in their morning meal? This recipe is completely customizable—use it to build your perfect breakfast. Try adding spinach or kale to the mix, top with nutritional yeast or non-dairy cheese, throw in some black beans, or wrap it in a burrito as you head out the door. The possibilities are endless. Our favorite: breakfast for dinner!
Ingredients For Mexican Tofu Scramble
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 package firm or extra-firm tofu
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Pat tofu dry and cover with an absorbent towel. Place a heavy object (e.g., a cast-iron skillet) on top for about 10 minutes to press out the excess water.
2. Combine all spices in a small mixing bowl.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet, add jalapeños, and cook for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 more minutes.
4. With a fork or your hands, break up the tofu into small crumbles.
5. Add tofu to one side of the skillet and cook with the vegetables for about 5 minutes.
6. Add spices, stir, and cook for 5 more minutes.
7. Serve with salsa, cilantro, avocado, or toast.
This Mexican tofu scramble recipe was reposted with the permission of The Nut-Free Vegan. If you’re a recipe developer, athlete, or just proud to be dairy-free, sign up to be a part of our growing team of go-getter individuals!