Liberate Yourself for More Effective Activism with James Aspey
Watch Episode 42 with James Aspey here:
Once you’ve experienced true fear and suffering, it’s hard to ignore the agony and trauma of others.
James Aspey was diagnosed with cancer at only 17 and was told he’d be dead in six weeks if he didn’t start chemotherapy immediately.
After three years of treatment, he’d gained 50 pounds and developed a severe binge eating disorder.
As he worked to find peace and healing through the principles of Vipassana meditation, he was exposed to the realities of the meat and dairy industries.
James made vows to resist the impulses of his bulimia, to never consume animal products again, and to stay silent for 365 days to raise awareness and promote peace over violence.
He joins Dotsie and Alexandra in this episode to share how making the switch has been spiritually liberating and has allowed him to live truly aligned with his values.
You’ll hear how he broke out of his food addiction, his tips for transitioning to veganism, and why it’s so important to be part of animal activism outside of your personal plate.
Listen to Episode 42 with James Aspey here:
What we discuss in this episode:
- The article recently published in a New York university’s Women’s and Gender Studies journal that’s calling out the sexual abuse of dairy cows
- James’s story of being diagnosed with cancer at 17 and dealing with three years of treatment
- How eating out of boredom and a need for pleasure led to a serious binge eating disorder
- How a Vipassana meditation course and a book by Jennifer Taitz gave James the tools he needed to break free from his bulimia
- Why James took a vow of silence, a vow to stop purging, and a vow to never consume animal products again
- James’s tips for anyone wanting to cut animal products out of their life
- The four must-watch documentaries James recommends if you want to understand the importance of going vegan: Forks Over Knives, What the Health, Cowspiracy, and Dominion
- Why it’s important to have compassion for people who have been socialized to reject plant-based diets, and how to be empathetic to anyone who has yet to make the switch
- If you want to liberate animals you must first liberate yourself: Hear how to free yourself by accepting negative sensations
- Follow James on Facebook at @JamesAspeyActivism, on YouTube at James & Carly, on Instagram at @jamesaspey, and on his website at jamesaspey.com.au.