Fueling Your Lyfe with Plants with Chris Manderino
Watch Episode 30 with Chris Manderino here:
What can Americans learn from the diets and lifestyles of other countries?
Football prodigy Chris Manderino played in the NFL with the Cincinnati Bengals and, later, for the Kansas City Chiefs. During his time as a fullback, he was told he needed to gain 40 pounds to stay competitive — and eating became another full-time job.
In 2009, Chris signed with the Bologna Doves, an Italian football team, and considers the dietary culture shock a pivotal point in his health journey.
Now the founder of Lyfe Fuel, a plant-based protein brand, Chris is a vocal advocate for simplifying your diet, eating intuitively, and fueling your life with plants.
In this episode, Chris shares how he is healthier and more fit than ever without the typical supplements suggested to athletes.
He also shares the science behind Lyfe Fuel, his rules for buying food, and information about “grass-fed” beef that likely no one else has ever told you.
Listen to Episode 30 with Chris Manderino here:
What we discuss in this episode:
- Alexandra’s appearance at George Washington University’s Tackling the Population Taboo forum
- Chris says eating in the NFL can feel like a full-time job. What were they eating?
- The drastic difference in the lives of Italians compared to Americans and how it encouraged Chris to rethink his diet
- What’s the first step to eating a healthier diet?
- What do you look for when you go grocery shopping? Chris shares his criteria for purchasing food
- The dangers of whey protein and how Chris replaced it with plant-based Lyfe Fuel
- The difference between plant- and meat-based proteins
- If you still eat meat because you think it’s “grass-fed”, you might be in for a surprise. Chris explains the difference between grass-fed and grass-finished
- How the Standard American Diet has a problematic Omega-3 vs. Omega-6 ratio, and the benefits of algae
- Chris’s favorite plant-based meal
- Follow Chris Manderino on Instagram at @cmanderino or on Facebook at @manderino.chris, and check out Lyfe Fuel at LyfeFuel.com.