Watch Episode 47 with Ryan Duff here:
According to ANAD, at least 30 million people of all ages and genders suffer from an eating disorder in the United States.
No matter what type of addiction you have, it’s difficult to confront when you’ve hit rock bottom and are in desperate need for a change.
Today’s guest is Ryan Duff, the winner of Switch4Good’s recent contest that asked listeners to submit their own stories of overcoming personal challenges.
Ryan is a medical student and a recreational ultra-endurance runner, but more impressive than his academic and athletic achievements is his story of overcoming an eating disorder.
Dotsie and Alexandra talk with Ryan about his struggle from anorexia to binge eating, and how he’s overcome those hurdles by shifting to a plant-based diet.
They discuss the underlying causes of eating disorders, coping mechanisms, and the holistic impact of veganism for your physical and mental health.
After you listen to Ryan’s inspiring story, check out the Switch4Godd blog to read more about his path to recovery.
Listen to Episode 48 with Ryan Duff here:
What we discuss in this episode:
- What inspired Ryan to fully commit to a plant-based diet
- Ryan’s relationship with food growing up and how he succumbed to an eating disorder
- What The Lost Connections and Chasing the Scream by Johann Hari can teach us about addiction and depression
- How the books Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen and Rational Recovery by Jack Trimpey helped Ryan conquer his eating disorder
- Ryan’s path to recovery, his daily nutrition plan, and meal tips for runners
- The status of the medical field in terms of knowledge about nutrition, and how Ryan plans to shift people’s mindset about the benefits of eating a plant-based diet
- Follow Ryan Duff on Instagram at @unleashtheduff or on Twitter at @ryanduff11. Check out his blog at unleashtheduff.com
- To support our mission to educate, inspire, and embolden the world to lean into eating pants instead of baby cow growth food, donate today to spread the word.