The next time you’re craving pizza, don’t order out—make it yourself. This simple dairy-free pesto pizza recipe is fresh, flavorful, and super easy to toss together (thanks to the help of a store-bought crust). This dairy-free pesto pizza will fill you up without weighing you down. Finally, a family pizza night you can feel good about the next day!
For the Dairy-Free Pesto
2 ½ cups fresh basil, loosely packed
⅔ cup raw cashews
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
For the Pizza
1 Angelic Bakehouse Flatzza (or any flatbread pizza dough)
1 ½ cups frozen corn, preferably organic
½ sweet red bell pepper, diced OR 1 roasted red pepper, diced
½ red onion, cut into strips
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful of grape tomatoes, halved
Instructions for Dairy-Free Pesto Pizza
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees (or, if it is the summertime, start the grill).
2. While the oven (or grill) is heating, make the pesto. Add all of the pesto ingredients to a food processor and blend until cashews are about the size of small pebbles (think just smaller than crunchy peanut butter consistency).
3. Place the Flatzza or pizza dough on a pizza stone or parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread about half of the pesto on the Flatzza (or as much as you would like). Set aside. You can freeze the remaining pesto for another time OR save it to make a Smashed Avocado Chickpea Pesto Sandwich for lunch the next day.
4. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the red onions. Consistently stir the onions so they do not stick to the pan. If they start sticking, add about 1 tablespoon of water or vegetable broth at a time and as needed. Once caramelized (about 5 – 6 minutes), add the onions to a bowl and set aside.
5. Use the same pan you cooked the onions in and add the frozen corn, sweet red bell pepper, salt, and pepper. Cook until tender, about 5 – 6 minutes.
6. Layer the corn, red peppers, grape tomatoes, and caramelized onions on top of the pizza. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
7. Allow to cool slightly, slice, and serve!
Recipe reposted with permission of Alison Tierney, a Switch4Good team member, registered dietitian, and founder of Wholesome LLC. If you’re a recipe developer, athlete, or just proud to be dairy-free, sign up to be a part of our growing team of go-getter individuals!