Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients for Vegan Mushroom Soup
– 2 Tbsp coconut oil
– 1 medium sweet Vidalia onion, diced
– 2.5 lbs cremini mushrooms, sliced (or any combination of mushrooms you like)
– 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 1/4 tsp thyme
– 1-quart vegetable broth (low sodium)
– 1 14 oz can coconut cream
– 1/2 cup coconut milk (carton)
– Sea salt and pepper to taste
– Optional: White truffle oil and chives to garnish
1. Saute the diced onions in coconut oil for 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
2. Add the mushrooms, cover, and cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
3. Add thyme and garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
4. Pour in the vegetable broth, cover, and bring to a low simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Use a hand blender and carefully blend the soup until you achieve a chunky consistency.
6. Stir in the coconut cream, milk, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook for 5 additional minutes or until heated through.
7. Garnish with chives and a swirl of truffle oil.
– If you don’t have coconut cream, you can sub coconut milk but it won’t be as creamy.
– The white truffle oil is optional. The soup was served with the truffle oil on the cruise so it’s delicious but not necessary. You could also drizzle a bit of cashew cream like I did!
– I wouldn’t recommend using garlic powder instead of the fresh garlic for this recipe.
– You can use other mushrooms besides cremini for this soup.
– You can blend the vegan mushroom soup until it’s super smooth and creamy or you can leave it a little chunky like I do. Either way, it will be delicious, it just depends on your preference.
Loved this recipe? Check out our dairy-free recipes collection.