Kick off Taco Tuesday with these incredible breakfast street tacos! Or, enjoy them any night of the week for a fun and tasty breakfast for dinner. They’re packed with protein thanks to the tofu, and you can even throw on some dairy-free cheese if your taste buds desire. This recipe also contains anti-inflammatory turmeric to help you recover after tough morning workouts. Enjoy!
1 14-oz. package tofu (firm or extra firm)
6 flour tortillas
2 tsp. olive oil, separated
1 tsp. turmeric
1 cup tortilla chips, crumbled
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup shredded vegan white cheese (optional)
1 avocado, sliced
1. Drain water from tofu by placing it on a plate and sitting something heavy like a cast-iron skillet on top of it for about 10 minutes.
2. Heat tortillas in a skillet over medium heat until each side begins to brown. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and crumble with a fork until it looks “scrambled.” Stir in turmeric.
4. Cook tofu for 5 minutes and set aside.
5. Wipe out skillet and return to medium heat. Add tortilla chips and top with remaining 1 tsp. of olive oil. Cook for 1 minute and add onion, tomato, and cilantro. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Return tofu to pan, stir and cook for another three minutes.
6. Spoon mixture into tortillas and top with optional vegan cheese, avocado slice, and hot sauce if you like a kick.
Recipe reposted with permission of Steve Seighman of The Nut-Free Vegan.