This recipe puts a healthy twist on Chipotle’s vegan sofritas tacos. Made with seasoned tofu and riced cauliflower, this simple sofritas is easy to whip up and packs a ton of nutrition with each delicious bite. Pair it with a generous drizzle of vegan queso and your favorite taco toppings to turn it into a meal. Not a taco fan? Make a satisfying sofritas taco salad with this sofritas/queso combo, or stuff it into a wrap for a burrito.
For the Sofritas
1 16-ounce package organic, extra-firm tofu
1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
½ head of cauliflower (about 3 cups), finely chopped, or store-bought riced cauliflower
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons taco seasoning (see below recipe)**
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon oregano
For the tacos
8 taco shells/tortillas
1. Drain the water from your tofu and press the tofu for about 15 minutes. Here is a video for a simple technique for pressing tofu. Basically, you just want to get as much water out as possible. If you’re in a hurry, wrap it in paper towels and lightly press until the towels are soaked through.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add your onion, pepper, and cauliflower. Sauté for about 7-8 minutes—until vegetables are tender and onions begin to caramelize. If the vegetables start to stick, add water, vegetable broth, or oil 1 tablespoon at a time to prevent too much sticking.
3. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
4. Dice the tofu into small pieces and add to the skillet. Using a wooden spoon, break up the tofu into small pieces (as if you were mincing ground beef). Continue until tofu is all relatively the same size.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning to the skillet. Mix well.
6. Allow the mixture to cook and brown for another 5-10 minutes. The mixture should look evenly browned. Taste and adjust for seasoning, adding salt, pepper, or additional taco seasoning if desired.
7. Spoon the mixture into the taco shells and top with vegan queso, shredded lettuce, avocado slices, and salsa. Enjoy your sofritas tacos!
Recipe reposted with permission of Alison Tierney, a Switch4Good team member, registered dietitian, and founder of Wholesome LLC. If you’re a recipe developer, athlete, or just proud to be dairy-free, sign up to be a part of our growing team of go-getter individuals!