Lethal Viruses and Animal Agriculture with Mad Cowboy Howard Lyman
Watch Episode 63 with Howard Lyman here:
How does a Montana cattle rancher end up on The Oprah Winfrey Show and Capitol Hill as an advocate for organic, plant-based farming? Howard Lyman weaves the captivating story of his life before and after making the Switch4Good. He’s best known for educating Oprah (and her 40 million viewers) about the hazards of mad cow disease back in 1996 which prompted a Texas cattlemen association to sue for “hurting their businesses.” Spoiler alert: the association lost. Despite this massive attention, Howard is a stand-up guy who humbly preaches the need for our society to make a change and do the right thing. To him, that means switching from animals to plants. From a man who has lived as a rancher and a plant-based advocate—his story is both horrifying and hopeful, brutally honest, and truly compelling.
Listen to Episode 63 with Howard Lyman here:
What we discuss in this episode:
- Howard’s appearance on Oprah and the lawsuit aftermath.
- The “standard” of agribusiness versus what Howard eventually set out to do.
- Howard’s transformation from Montana cattle rancher to organic farmer and advocate on Capitol Hill.
- Mad cow and other bovine diseases that can affect humans that consume meat and dairy.
- The common yet gut-wrenching practices of animal agriculture.
- The dire need to make a change for the betterment of one’s health, their family, the animals, and the environment.
- Howard’s resolution to “do the right thing” both in business and his personal life.
- Howard’s book, Mad Cowboy.