Fiber is our Favorite F Word with Diabetes Dietitian & Author Lauren Plunkett
Who says you have to be defined by a type 1 diabetes diagnosis? Who says your life can’t continue to be just as rich or fulfilling? Certainly not today’s guest. Lauren Plunkett is a registered dietitian, a diabetes education specialist, a fitness instructor, a dynamic national speaker, a plant-based nutrition advocate, and a shining beacon of positive energy, exemplifying how to live your best life with type 1 diabetes. And she does it all with so much empathy, a keen intellect, and a smile so radiant I swear you could see it from ten miles away. Lauren is also the author of the book Type One Determination, which I love because it’s from the perspective of someone who’s both a patient and an expert, offering applicable strategies to anyone suffering from type 1 diabetes. Some of our listeners might even recognize her name for her contribution to our very own Switch4Good blog.
With her characteristic feistiness, wit, and verve, she’s certainly someone who can teach us all a thing or two about living our very best lives.
Listen to Episode 206 with Lauren Plunkett
What we discuss in this episode:
- The type 1 diabetes symptoms she experienced as a child and how she learned to cope with her diagnosis
- The truth about insulin and weight gain
- Intermittent fasting
- Diabetes and plant-based nutrition
- The power of a fiber-rich diet
- The importance of exercise in how it affects diabetes
- Lauren Plunkett’s sound advice on how to communicate effectively with doctors
- The benefits of not consuming cows’ milk
- Her book: Type One Determination — Lauren Plunkett Health
- Website: Lauren Plunkett
- S4G blog article: Ditch Dairy to Better Manage Type 1 Diabetes – Switch4Good
- LinkedIn: Lauren Plunkett, RDN LD CDCES – Health educator, public speaker, author – LP Nutrition Consulting LLC | LinkedIn
The Plant-based Playbook IS HERE!
Let the Plant-based Games Begin, the first-ever guidebook dedicated to optimizing athletic performance with plant-based fuel. We developed the Playbook in consultation with the IOC’s Office of Sustainability to help coaches, dietitians, and athletes understand how to embrace plant-based nutrition.
Researched and written by a diverse group of highly credentialed researchers, clinicians, and athletes, the Playbook leverages peer-reviewed science and real-world experience to illuminate the physiological benefits of a plant-based diet. The Playbook also includes robust, field-tested tools and resources for meal planning and other practical implementation techniques.
You can download the Playbook here: https://switch4good.org/plant-based-playbook/
Connect with Switch4Good