Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Prep: 10 mins Cook: 10 mins Total: 20 mins
Ingredients for Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
– 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid (be sure it is not melted at all)
– 1 and 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup coconut milk (I like to use the thicker Thai variety, but any coconut milk will work)
– 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (be sure not to pack your flour)
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 cups chocolate chips (use vegan chocolate chips if vegan), divided
– Flaky sea salt, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla, beating until well combined. Add in the coconut milk and applesauce and whisk until well combined; set aside. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; whisk well to combine.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and, using a wooden spoon or very sturdy spatula, stir until ingredients are combined. The batter will be very thick! Fold in 1 and 3/4 cups of the chocolate chips.
4. Scoop three tablespoon-sized mounds of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, leaving a few inches between each cookie for spreading. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the centers have set. Press remaining chocolate chips on top of warm cookies, and sprinkle with sea salt if using. Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
If the dough appears too sticky, add a little more flour, one tablespoon at a time; if the dough appears too dry, add a tablespoon of coconut milk.
Loved these dairy-free chocolate chip cookies? Check out our dairy-free recipes collection.