15-Minute Colorful Veggie Stir-Fry By Audrey Dunham
Not your average stir-fry, this recipe incorporates hearty quinoa and protein-packed black beans to provide both substance and ample nutrition. You can customize the recipe to use whatever you have left in the fridge—swap broccoli for cauliflower, black beans for pinto, quinoa for rice … you get the idea. This meal should be in everyone’s weeknight aresenal, whether you’re cooking for kids or a dinner-for-one. With just a few key ingredients, one pan, and 15 minutes, you can transform ordinary veggies and beans into a meal you look forward to all day long.
6 – 7 cups of three different types of vegetables*, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 cup orange marmalade
3 tablespoons soy sauce tamari or Bragg’s Aminos
3 tablespoons water
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 – 4 cups cooked rice or quinoa
A couple pinches of chili flakes (optional, for heat)
*Try broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas, asparagus, and/or red bell pepper, but you can use whatever is on hand.
1. Heat a large skillet lightly coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat for about 30 seconds. Add the chopped vegetables and allow them to cook for about 4 mintues. Do not stir—you want them to brown.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, and ground ginger in a small bowl then sprinkle evenly over the vegetables.
3. Flip the vegetables and allow to brown for another 3 – 4 minutes.
4. Make the sauce: combine the marmalade, soy sauce (or substitute), and water in a small bowl.
5. Stir vegetables once more and add the sauce and black beans. Stir to coat then turn the heat down to low. Simmer for about 2 minutes.
6. Pile the vegetable mixture over some cooked rice or quinoa. Sprinkle chili flakes on top, if using. Serve immediately.
Recipe reposted with permission of Audrey Dunham, a Switch4Good team member and founder of Peanut’s Bake Shop. If you’re a recipe developer, athlete, or just proud to be dairy-free, sign up to be a part of our growing team of go-getter individuals!